Page [12 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: [Suggestion] Qualifying 52 replies
Ben Hodgskiss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #1 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:40:00 Quote 
I had searched the forum, but couldn't find this suggestion...

I was wondering if anyone has thaught about running a 3 stage Qualifying like in real F1?

A knockout qualifying in other words.

I personally dont have a suggestion on how this could be done, and be fair for everyone (ie. someone who doesn't check the Qualifying 3 times before a race to complete a new run). But perhaps there can be a way improvised?

I guess, one way I was thinking is you do your 3 runs - and set your fuel on the 3rd Qualifying session.
The results for Q2 and Q3 are hidden until a predetermined time before the race, to see where you end up (And if your knocked out).

If your knocked out, you can set your fuel seperate to what you were using for Q3. Otherwise, the car will keep your origional race setup.

What do you guys and gals think? I know in my plan, there are probably many flaws - but perhaps you guys could come up with a decent suggestion if mine is no good.

Cheers.
Mark Webster
(Group Pro - 13)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:42:01 Quote 
IMO, it would be quite cool, but it's unachievable as not everyone can log on every day.
Jan Zaluski
(Group Pro - 11)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #3 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:42:12 Quote 
It has been suggested before of course.

And it was immediately rejected because:

Quote ( Ben Hodgskiss @ April 27th 2009,14:40:00 )

personally dont have a suggestion on how this could be done, and be fair for everyone (ie. someone who doesn't check the Qualifying 3 times before a race to complete a new run).

:)
Toni Metsänkylä
(Group Master - 3)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #4 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:42:35 Quote 
Doesn't add anything to the game and is impossible to implement in a practical way.
Aaron Hughes
(Group Pro - 9)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:43:28 Quote 
Quote ( Ben Hodgskiss @ April 27th 2009,14:40:00 )

but perhaps you guys could come up with a decent suggestion if mine is no good.

I dont personally see why it needs changing, is it just to try to mirror the current f1 method?
Nigel Davis
(Group Pro - 7)

GPRO Crew
England 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:43:49 Quote 
and by the time we managed to resolve these problems no doubt the FIA will have changed the rules and be lining the drivers up on the grid alphabetically or by car colour so it looks neat.
Toni Metsänkylä
(Group Master - 3)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:44:54 Quote 
Quote ( Nigel Davis @ April 27th 2009,14:43:49 )

and by the time we managed to resolve these problems no doubt the FIA will have changed the rules and be lining the drivers up on the grid alphabetically or by car colour so it looks neat.

Talking about rule changes: refueling ban, anyone?
Ben Hodgskiss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:48:13 Quote 
Quote ( Aaron Hughes @ April 27th 2009,14:43:28 )

I dont personally see why it needs changing, is it just to try to mirror the current f1 method?

The suggestion only came as I think it would give a great change to strategy. I mean - the guys in the midfield who missed out on a top 5 spot can alter their strategy to hopfuly mix it with the fellas up the top.

Quote ( Mark Webster @ April 27th 2009,14:42:01 )

IMO, it would be quite cool, but it's unachievable as not everyone can log on every day.

The way I was thinking doesn't require you to log on every day, just do your normal Qualifying (Only instead of 2 stints, you do 3). You can log on before the race, or after you been knocked out, and adjust your strategy if you choose too, otherwise you can use your origional setup from Q3.

But thanks for your thaughts. :)
Ben Hodgskiss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:49:39 Quote 
Quote ( Toni Metsänkylä @ April 27th 2009,14:44:54 )

Talking about rule changes: refueling ban, anyone?

I remember a flash on Youtube about Schumacher getting a handicap.
Instead of a F1 car, he got a peddal car. And still beats DC :D
No fuel, but needed the fire on his shoes put out in the pitstop.
Aki Perätalo
(Group Amateur - 35)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:51:47 Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLj2zn7_07s&feature=channel_page
Jack Wemyss
(Group Pro - 16)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:51:52 Quote 
Anything that requires logging in more than once for each race will never be implemented.
Ben Hodgskiss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:53:30 Quote 
Quote ( Jack Wemyss @ April 27th 2009,14:51:52 )

Anything that requires logging in more than once for each race will never be implemented.

Good thing it shouldn't be required to do so :D
Wilian Souza
(Group Amateur - 8)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:54:53 Quote 
Well, how this could be done...

1-Every managers should do the three qualy laps;

2-The 20 slowest managers in Qualy 1 wouldn't have their times considered in the other Qualifying laps, even if they were faster; Then Qualy 1 decides the Grid positions from 21st to 40th;

3-In Qulaifying 2, among the 20 managers qualified in Qualifying 1, the 10 slowest managers in Qualy 2 wouldn't have their times considered in the other Qualy 3, even if they were faster; Then Qualy 2 decides the Grid positions between 11th and 20th;

4-Finally, in the qualy 3 - Super Pole - the 10 fastest managers in Qualy 2 would have their times analized in Qualy 3, and the grid positions are taken according to the times they've got in Qualy 3.

5-The first stint fuel should be set before the first Qualifying.

I've thought of this idea some time before, too, but I didn't have exposed here because I was imagining how it would be...

Anyway, I think the implementation of this idea would make the qualifying much more interesting!!! Great
Jack Wemyss
(Group Pro - 16)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:55:24 (last edited Apr 27th 2009, 14:56:21 by Jack Wemyss) Quote 
Quote ( Ben Hodgskiss @ April 27th 2009,14:48:13 )

The way I was thinking doesn't require you to log on every day, just do your normal Qualifying (Only instead of 2 stints, you do 3). You can log on before the race, blah blah blah, to change strategy if you get to Q3

requires logging in more than once. unless you get knocked out in the first stage.

But people who have little time are only allowed to Qualify badly??
Makes no sense.
Ben Hodgskiss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:56:53 Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIqfwNrjoE0&feature=channel

Jenson Button :)
Ben Hodgskiss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Apr 27th 2009, 14:59:52 Quote 
Wilian Souza

I like that idea!
Only thing I would like altered is the fuel should be set in Q3 (So the top 10 drivers have to run the same fuel strategy they qualified in Q3 with).

And the other drivers should be able to alter their fuel strategy before race to help them get up the field. (In saying that, it would make the racing more interesting - however disadvantage those who makes in to Q3).

But thats a good suggestion.
Daniel Auchincloss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Ireland 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:02:58 Quote 
Quote ( Ben Hodgskiss @ April 27th 2009,14:59:52 )

And the other drivers should be able to alter their fuel strategy before race to help them get up the field. (In saying that, it would make the racing more interesting - however disadvantage those who makes in to Q3).

That wont work cos its requires people to log in again.
And you cant really have people setting up two stradagys cos that would be plain confusing
Wilian Souza
(Group Amateur - 8)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:07:06 (last edited Apr 27th 2009, 15:08:31 by Wilian Souza) Quote 
Quote ( Ben Hodgskiss @ April 27th 2009,14:59:52 )

Only thing I would like altered is the fuel should be set in Q3 (So the top 10 drivers have to run the same fuel strategy they qualified in Q3 with).

No, if the fuel is set only in Qualy 3, then all managers set the first stint fuel, because all managers do the three qualifying laps; Computer algorythms do the rest, classifying the fastest managers and making the grid.

This format keeps the simplicity of the Qualifying process, allowing managers to do their qualifys in just half an hour, without any need to make people log in again.
Ben Hodgskiss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:09:13 Quote 
Quote ( Wilian Souza @ April 27th 2009,15:07:06 )

No, if the fuel is set only in Qualy 3, then all managers set the first stint fuel, because all managers do the three qualifying laps; Computer algorythms do the rest, classifying the fastest managers and making the grid.

This format keeps the simplicity of the Qualifying process, allowing managers to do their qualifys in just half an hour.

True, then I'm all for that idea. Solves the problem about logging on more than once I think. And would make Qualifying far more interesting.
Sam Vindin
(Group Rookie - 53)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:09:47 Quote 
What about rookie though?

They only get like 29 people per race so the majority would get to Q2.
Ben Hodgskiss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:12:44 Quote 
Quote ( Daniel Auchincloss @ April 27th 2009,15:02:58 )

And you cant really have people setting up two stradagys cos that would be plain confusing

Agreed. Do you think Wilian Souza's suggestion is adequet? It is essentially similar to what we have (As in user requirements to only log in once to Qualify before a race). But has the added twist of the more realistic Knockout implemented, which can have the potential to create interesting and exciting Race Grids and races.
Ben Hodgskiss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:14:32 Quote 
Quote ( Sam Vindin @ April 27th 2009,15:09:47 )

What about rookie though?

Perhaps for groups where the average amount of active managers is low - the cutoff points can be revised. (ie. the computer will work out 33% of the field who set a qualifying lap to cut for each Stint). Therefor inactive managers are not counted - and it is only the people who are active for that race.
Andrei Ciuchi
(Group Pro - 12)

GPRO Crew
Romania 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:17:20 Quote 
Quote ( Ben Hodgskiss @ April 27th 2009,15:14:32 )

(ie. the computer will work out 33% of the field who set a qualifying lap to cut for each Stint)

If there are 23 managers, how exactly will the computer select 33%? Go for 7? 8? You can't have an exact split there for each stint.

I think this is overly complicating the system that we currently have. Sure, it's a nice idea. But why change something that is already working fine?
Wilian Souza
(Group Amateur - 8)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:21:04 Quote 
Quote ( Sam Vindin @ April 27th 2009,15:09:47 )

Correct. And the life goes on...
Chris Williams
(Group Rookie - 89)

GPRO Crew
England 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:26:17 (last edited Apr 27th 2009, 15:26:44 by Chris Williams) Quote 
This would change nothing, except people who qualify 1-12(?) have a set fuel load, whereas everyone else can change their fuel compared to what they would've done Q3 with.

No point IMO.
Wilian Souza
(Group Amateur - 8)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #26 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:27:24 Quote 
Quote ( Andrei Ciuchi @ April 27th 2009,15:17:20 )

If there are 23 managers, how exactly will the computer select 33%? Go for 7? 8? You can't have an exact split there for each stint.

No, no, no, let's make things simple...

within my idea, the knockout zones aren't variable in size; If there are only 23 managers qualified, them the knockout 1 (qualy 1) will set the grid only for the 21st and below; If there are less than 20 managers, everyone is qualified to the Qualy 2, and the knockout goes on; The same way, if there are less than 10 managers qualified, then everyone is qualified to the qualy 3, then the grid is taken from the fastest managers in the last qualifying.

As simple as that!
Daniel Auchincloss
(Group Rookie - 39)

Ireland 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:33:46 Quote 
Well set the fuel before you start and everone has 2/3 laps in every qualifing so the more laps you use the lighter your car starts and if you get knocked out in qualify 1 you get the fuel you used in qual 2+3 back? A liittle to confusing maybe?
Wilian Souza
(Group Amateur - 8)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #28 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:41:42 Quote 
Well, even in the current Qualifyng format the manager can do a qualifying lap with only 5 litres of fuel if hey want, then consequently it's easy to they make a pole position. In the new format the managers should set the first stint to a minimum amout of fuel to be determined. In [Blacklisted], for example, the minimum is 30 litres.
Andrei Ciuchi
(Group Pro - 12)

GPRO Crew
Romania 
Certified: 
Old post #29 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:43:09 Quote 
And if there are less than 20 managers, why would those guys bother to do 3 qualifying laps, when they can do only 2, if they're automatically taken to Q2?

Sure, they wouldn't know that they would all go to Q2 automatically, but still ... think about it. Why would they do it? They could just skip Q1, do Q2 directly and that's that.

As for the fuel thing, if we make a set fuel amount, it makes it unfair for those that didn't get to Q3, because they would have low fuel like everyone else. And without a set amount, Q1 and Q2 guys can change their fuel and that makes it unfair for those in Q3.
Wilian Souza
(Group Amateur - 8)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #30 posted Apr 27th 2009, 15:48:07 Quote 
That's not confusing, even if the first stint is set before the first qualy, or the last, the fuel stint shall be set only once; The managers only can do the qualifying 2 if he did the qualify 1, and the same way, they must do the Qualys 1 and 2 to be allowed to do the 3th qualifying; All managers set the first stint fuel before the 1st Qualifying, or the 3th Qualifying, it depends on which qualifying lap will be chosen by the GPRO crew to allow managers to set the 1st stint.
Page [12 » Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic